Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Rose's Artist Statement

Art to me is poetry. Art to me is love. Art can be peaceful or chaotic, or somewhere in between - and at times, even both. Art can be as cliche as the sunset you catch as you're driving home from a long day at the beach, or it can be as hidden as that subtle nose-twitch your mother makes every time she worries why you got home so late.

My artistry comes from a place deep down inside that channels both insecurity and confidence.

My art is my eyeshadow palette.
My art is an investment.

Inspired by makeup artists on social media, I would admire the before and after transformations and thought to myself - "I could never do that" but I've learned that I can do anything I put my mind to. While there's no such thing as perfection, these makeup artists got as close to perfection as could be. 
I wanted to do that - I wanted to inspire groups of people from around the world. A young Latina makeup artist living in NYC - working and going to school full-time to fulfill my dreams. 

My art is the type of art that changes a woman's mood in approximately one hour. My art moves people. It brings butterflies back to a husband's heart, and confidence to a woman who is extremely beautiful on the inside, but somehow does not feel the same way on the outside.

My type of art conceals the hours of sleep that a hard working mother has missed.

Covers bruises left by horrible accidents.

Brings out blue eyes just as beautifully as it brings out brown eyes. 

A client once told me: "The difference between getting my makeup applied by you Rose, is the way that you move your brush."

"The way that I move my brush?"

"Yes, you move the brush side to side just like every other makeup artist, but with an artist's touch. A graceful swipe that anyone can learn, but only an artist can master."

Art is being a teacher and a student. That's me. A woman with a cause and a vision. That vision being: to help thousands and thousands of girls (and boys) to feel beautiful.
Both internally and externally.


I'm fulfilling my dreams each and every time I pick up my brush and practice my craft.


Being a makeup artist is an art form that brings happiness to others, as well as to the artist. 

Makeup goes a long way, and having the tools and techniques of such an immense and detailed art, I would feel cheated if I did not share my passion with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment